What does it look like to emerge stronger on the other side of COVID-19? Over the next several months, we’ll be connecting each of you across the global Diligent community in the form of thought leadership, virtual panels, and peer forums. Check back for regular updates for subscribe to receive our weekly newsletter.
Guidance From Your Peers
The Pandemic Agenda: How Corporate Boards Are Navigating COVID-19 Challenges
This report captures insights from over 100 director interviews, virtual roundtables, webinars and podcasts.
- What topics are boards prioritizing during COVID-19?
- How are boards navigating financial liquidity and operational challenges?
- What are boards doing now to emerge stronger on the other side?
Legal Advice for Boards Navigating COVID-19
In this episode, Amy Simmerman outlines top legal considerations for boards navigating COVID-19 challenges. Should boards create a dedicated committee for COVID-19 response? What types of legal actions and issues should boards focus on during these unpredictable times?
Surviving the Crisis - Board Lessons Learned from Healthcare and Beyond
What best practices can all industries glean from the experience of healthcare boards, both now and into the future? In this episode, we get insights from Jamie Orlikoff, chairperson of St. Charles Health System and a governance expert who’s been working with hospital and health system boards since 1985.
Compensation Committee Challenges Amid COVID-19
In this episode, Bob Romanchek offers guidance for boards reevaluating executive compensation during Coronavirus times. What compensation issues are top of mind? What should compensation committees do with respect to setting new targets? How should boards be thinking about documentation and disclosures?
What Corporate Response to COVID-19 Made Directors Proud?
In a crisis at the scale of a global pandemic, the situation can feel daunting and hopeless. In Part 5 of our series, we wanted to know what was going right. We asked our panel to reflect on the aspect of their companies’ responses to COVID-19 that made them feel most proud, and the lessons learned for future crisis response.
What Are the Best Practices for Virtual Board Meetings?
Unique to the COVID-19 crisis is the sudden transition to “work from home.” For boards, virtual meetings have gone from an infrequent option to an absolute necessity. In Part 4 of our series, the panelists explored some of the nuances of virtual board meetings, the pros and the cons, and how to get the most out of them.
Virtual Panel: What Is the Right Role for Directors During a Crisis?
Directors occupy a unique vantage point within the company. While management is running the day-to-day crisis response, directors can focus on the bigger picture, including where the “future of work” might be headed. In Part 3 of our series, panelists discuss how to provide the right support.
Virtual Panel: How Should Management & Board Updates Be Handled During the Crisis?
For boards to provide oversight and have foresight of what’s coming “around the corner,” they require timely and relevant information from their management teams. However, directors do not want to distract or overburden their CEOs with requests for information, especially during a crisis. Part 2 explores how to find the right balance.
Virtual Panel: How Does Corporate Governance Change in a Crisis?
Different organizations are impacted by the COVID-19 crisis in different ways, based on factors including sector, location, size, and liquidity. Without exception, every company has been impacted in some way, and corporate governance has had to adapt accordingly. In the first part of our series, directors share what has changed most.
Key Considerations for Audit Committees During COVID-19
As companies approach their first quarter of reporting since the coronavirus pandemic began, what aspects of the reporting process are weighing heavier on audit committees? In this episode, Paula Loop, Leader of PwC’s Governance Insights Center, frames the new reality for audit committees: What are the top factors that audit committees should consider for this upcoming cycle?
Global Ethicist on the Pandemic, Public Trust, & Technology
Is it right to order grocery delivery during a pandemic? What measures should companies take to protect employees during a lockdown? As the COVID-19 crisis places ethical questions like this in the forefront, Dr. Andrea Bonime-Blanc shares her views on the podcast. She discusses the deficit of trust in today’s world, the role of an ethical advisor, and the inextricable influence of technology on ESG issues and risk.
Navigating the Future of (Secure) Work: the Hidden Perils of Virtual Technology
Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the transition to a work from home world has accelerated changes to how work we work and what tools we use. But what dangers may be lurking beneath? How can organizations remain aware of the potential blind spots of popular virtual technologies?
Virtual Annual Shareholder Meetings: Key Considerations & Challenges
The COVID-19 pandemic will force hundreds of companies to shift their annual meetings to virtual-only or hybrid formats this proxy season. Do companies have the resources or the regulatory permissions to make this shift? In this episode, Sherry Moreland, President and Chief Operating Officer for Mediant, addresses key challenges around virtual annual shareholder meetings: What are the biggest challenges companies and boards can expect to face?
Top Boardroom Issues During COVID-19
Difficult to categorize, COVID-19 could be classified as a black swan event, resulting in unprecedented business disruption for nearly all industries. In our first remote episode, Paula Loop, Leader of PwC’s Governance Insights Center, and host TK Kerstetter outline the most pressing boardroom issues: What kinds of financial and strategy issues are boards navigating? How will workforce issues evolve in the months ahead?
A View on COVID-19 from the Cockpit: Insights from an Airline Director
People are hunkering down and forced to stay indoors. Law enforcement is being asked to keep people off the street. “It’s more akin to a war zone than a normal crisis,” says Alejandro “Alex” Wolff. In this episode, Alejandro Wolff, a 34-year veteran of the US State Department and corporate director for two airlines, shares his insights: What does crisis leadership look like? How will corporate governance be changed post-COVID-19?
Virtual Meetings: How to Get Your Board Up & Running
Holding an effective virtual meeting is not as easy as it sounds. Formats must be adapted. Agendas must be condensed. New tools and processes must be learned. Where to start? In this article, we focus on some of the technical steps and considerations to get virtual meetings up and running.
How Corporate Directors Are Handling the Black Swan Imperative of COVID-19
The pandemic is testing each and every company for business resilience, digital agility, effective communication and adaptability to innovate on workforce planning to mitigate supply chain risks. In this co-authored article, Dr. Anastassia Lauterbach, Founder and CEO of 1AU-Venture, & Brian Stafford, CEO of Diligent. Share a number of insights across their combined experiences in North America, Europe and the UK.
Pandemic Prep: Board Oversight of Crisis Response
For companies, COVID-19 crisis response not only impacts the bottom line, it also impacts lives. Podcast guest, Peter Deans, shares his take on how the associated risks need to be effectively managed by boards and management. In what ways can the board lean in to better support management during times like this?
Leadership During COVID-19: Best Practices for Boards and Executives
The novel coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic differs from “crisis as usual” in many ways. The situation is global in scope with repercussions that are far-reaching and multifaceted. Yet, as with any watershed event, this pandemic also presents an opportunity for board members and executives to assume their leadership roles and build trust. In a recent interview, we tapped Betsy Atkins, who has served on dozens of corporate boards over the course of her career, for her leadership guidance in this unique situation.
Other COVID-19 Resources
More Resources on “Navigating COVID-19”
- Webinar: Using Diligent to Handle Crisis Communication & Virtual Meetings (Diligent)
- Opportunity in Adversity: How Will Things Be Different When It’s All Over? (Boston Consulting Group)
- Coronavirus-Themed Phishing Attacks and Hacking Campaigns Are on the Rise (ZDNet)
- 50 Ways Companies Are Giving Back During The Coronavirus Pandemic (Forbes)
- Virtual Shareholder Meetings on the Rise Due to Coronavirus (Pepper Hamilton LLP)
- Governance in a Crisis: A Checklist for Immediate Response (Diligent)
- Pandemic Prep: Board Oversight of Crisis Response (The Corporate Director Podcast)
- Rolling Updates on Coronavirus Disease (World Health Organization)
- COVID-19: March 16 Briefing Note (McKinsey & Company)
- Confronting COVID-19: Actions Boards Should Take (NACD)
- Ten Considerations for Boards of Directors During the COVID-19 Pandemic (Sidley)
- Prepare Your Supply Chain for Coronavirus (HBR)
- Part 1: Practical Tips to Minimize Labor and Employment Risks Arising From the Coronavirus in the Workplace and Workforce (Dykema)
- Part 2: Practical Tips to Minimize Labor and Employment Risks Arising From the Coronavirus in the Workplace and Workforce (Dykema)
- A UK Guide to Significant Commercial and Legal Issues (Linklaters)
- 15 Questions About Remote Work, Answered (HBR)
Crisis Management & Response
More Resources on “Risk Oversight”
- How Boards Can Manage Reputation Risk in Today’s Digital World
- Governing Through the Fog: Corporate Director Perspectives on Political Uncertainty
- Before the Breach: 4 Board Lessons in Cyber Breach Preparation
- How Should Directors Handle Cyber Risk?
- How Boards Can Spot Early-Warning Signs of Distress
- A Roadmap for Outlining ESG Risks & Opportunities
- Board Oversight Across Borders: From FCPA to Geopolitical Affairs
- The Board’s Role in Brand Oversight and Strategy Alignment
- The Board’s Changing Role in Cyber, Risk, and Strategy
- Keys to a Successful Hostile Proxy Defense
- Cyber Risk Oversight: Understanding Board Liability
- The Steps Your Board Must Take When Overseeing Cyber Risk
- Global Study Reveals Risky Practices in Board Communication