The dramatic impact of technological innovation and disruption, unpredictable economic and social climate, evolving government regulations…these and other factors have made today’s board governance increasingly challenging. Despite the many obstacles, corporate board directors are expected to respond instantly and precisely to any situation no matter how complex. Governance in the Digital Age is a guide to the new approaches and technological processes that can help make a board’s demanding job more manageable.
While most corporate governance books put the focus on established principles and practices, this book highlights how practices are changing with the rapid advance of technology. Based on the authors’ work with more than 15,000 organizations and 500,000 directors around the globe, Governance in the Digital Age reveals how companies can shift how they conceive of and enact the functions of governance.
About the Book
Governance in the Digital Age offers a collection of ideas, examples, tools and strategies that are designed to help directors, senior executives, and governance professionals thrive in the digital age. The authors—noted experts in the field—include a set of suggested action steps that organizations and their boards can put into place immediately.
These steps include leveraging new approaches and technologies to enhance governance outcomes. In addition, by adopting a digital mindset, boards can ensure their deliberative process will keep pace with the digital age’s accelerated speed of business. Organizations that leverage the speed of information and smarter technology to inform careful decision making can quickly outpace their competition.
This must-have resource is an innovative guide that explores a dynamic level of governance practices. The practices outlined have the power to improve, in an extraordinary manner, how boards function, enhance director engagement, and ultimately, lead to greater results.
In the executive summary, we overview each major chapter of the book:
- Ensuring Value Creation (Despite Volatility)
- Building a Resilient Board
- The Board’s Expanding Role in Managing Risk
- Building Insights and Just-in-Time Strategies
- From Corporate Citizenship to ESG
- Directors and Personal Accountability
Too many corporate boards ‘talk the talk’ with respect to overseeing digital transformation in their companies, yet few ‘walk the walk’ in their own boardrooms. Board members must keep pace with transformation in the boardroom as technologies dictate, and this book is a good roadmap!”
—TK Kerstetter, CEO & Show Host, Boardroom Resources and Co-founder & Editor-at-Large, Corporate Board Member
The business landscape today requires diverse and informed perspectives more than ever before and a new level of foresight, insight and oversight from directors. This book is filled with valuable data, case studies and a practical framework that will assist boards in navigating this transformational time with all the opportunities, challenges and risks it presents.”
— Anita Sands, PhD, Board Director for Symantec, ServiceNow, Pure Storage & ThoughtWorks
If you think governance is much the same as it’s always been, stop reading now—this book isn’t for you. But if you are a board member experiencing a rapidly increasing volume and velocity of information, a shifting governance and risk landscape—and you are feeling the pull of multiple stakeholder communities—this is an invaluable read.”
— Leslie Campbell, Board Director for Coupa Software and PetMed Express
The pace of global change is accelerating at rates never experienced before, dramatically impacting the role of corporate boards. This book is a great tool to help board directors better understand the levers that are available to build the Futuristic Board—one that can constructively challenge and disrupt old models in the era of Digital Revolution.”
— Yiannis Petrides, Chairman of the Supervisory Board, Refresco N.V.
We live in exponential times. Never before have we seen the rate and pace of digital disruption impact multiple industries all at once. Directors need to navigate these extraordinary times by bringing fresh thinking to the boardroom to effectively fulfil their fiduciary responsibilities. This book provides valuable insights, best practices and practical ideas to up your game in the digital age.”
— Sara Mathew, Former Chair & CEO, Dun & Bradstreet, and current Board Director for State Street, Shire, Freddie Mac, and Campbell Soup Company
- April 5, 2019 – ICSA: The Governance Institute, Listed Companies Conference, America Square Conference Centre, London, UK
- May 16, 2019 – ICSA Ireland Conference, Printworks Castle, Dublin, Ireland
- May 20-31, 2019 – Diligent Business Breakfasts to be held in Singapore, Sydney NSW Australia, and Melbourne VIC, Australia (details forthcoming)
- June 6, 2019 – Private Company Governance Summit, Washington, DC
- June 27, 2019 – Society for Corporate Governance, Surfing the Governance Wave, San Diego, CA
- July 11-19, 2019 – Diligent Business Breakfasts to be held in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and Munich, Germany (details forthcoming)
- August 19, 2019 – GPC Annual Corporate Governance Conference, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
- September 2, 2019 – GIA National Conference, Sydney NSW, Australia
- September 23, 2019 – NACD Global Board Leaders’ Summit, Washington, DC